Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Plata Quemada


There are some films that have left an indelible mark on me. I guess I'd have to say that I am a person easily influenced by media, not in a particularly bad way, but when I am moved by a film or a photograph, I am moved in a way that most people are not. I am utterly captivated, smitten, moved to tears. I suppose there aren't only a few films, but some that stick out in my mind now are The Wind That Shakes the Barley, My Own Private Idaho, The Dreamers, and Plata Quemada.

This post is about Plata Quemada. I've watched it twice now, and I still can't get over it. I guess it's just so beautiful it moves me more than anything ever has.

It's about two criminals lovers known as the Twins, who are forced to flee their country after a heist goes wrong and one of them is injured. Angel is described as "superstitious" and hears voices. "Le Nene" is his paler counterpart, who is the "brains" behind the duo.

I think the best part of this story, besides the involving and amazing plot, is the chemistry between Nene and Angel. They just look at each other and it's like there are fireworks going off. Watching them makes me believe in true love. They look at each other and you can feel the passion just rising off their skin. There are plenty of heterosexual love scenes in the film, some of them even explicit, but Nene and Angel never fully physically consummate their love on screen. I don't feel that this was out of any prudishness on the director's part, so much as a way of showing that Nene and Angel's love transcends their bodies.

I can't really say much more on the film, I just want you to go watch it.

No comments: