Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Beauty in simple things...

I felt as if an elephant has sat gracefully upon my back, and I was trying to support it with only my feeble arms and weak limbs. I am referring to the literal pain that was coursing up and down my spine, but also to the overwhelming sense of desolation that had settled over me over the last couple weeks. I kept trying to comfort myself, saying, bloody hell, it's the holidays. But it's hard to feel cheery when one feels as if a wet rag is stifling all your creativity and all the beauty in life.

I guess I could say all that pessimism stopped when I looked out the window, just a mere second ago. The screen seems to fracture the light from the neighbour's porch that streams across the road and illuminates every divet and pot-hole on our dingy street. The neighbours catty corner to us have all of their icicle Christmas lights up, and even though the moon is strangely absent, there is enough light pollution to lead an airplane. I can't say that my back hurts any less, but there is something strangely moving about what I see. Perhaps it is the lack of sleep, and lack of coherence, compounded by stupidity, but I cannot say that I've seen anything more beautiful before.

No comments: